The issue of sustainability and being a sustainable person on the planet is becoming a bigger and bigger issue in the world.
For students thinking about coming to New Zealand, they may worry that coming to New Zealand is not a sustainable action.
We think it is and below we can explain why.
• Single Use plastic bags are banned and more plastic will be banned soon https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2019/12/government-to-phase-out-more-single-use-plastics-in-favour-of-recyclable-materials.html
• Ban on any further oil and gas exploration https://www.greenpeace.org/new-zealand/press-release/oil-and-gas-exploration-ban-passes-into-law/
• Wanganui river has person status https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/04/maori-river-in-new-zealand-is-a-legal-person/ - Te Urewera also has personhood
• Most sustainable beef and dairy industry in the world https://beeflambnz.com/
• The electricity sector in New Zealand uses 82% of energy for electricity generation from renewable sources. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_New_Zealand
• Nuclear free – both power and weapons - http://www.nuclearfreenz30.org.nz/
• Government commitment to plant 1 billion trees by 2030 https://www.mpi.govt.nz/funding-and-programmes/forestry/one-billion-trees-programme/about-the-one-billion-trees-programme
• National cycleway being developed from one end of the country to the other https://www.mbie.govt.nz/immigration-and-tourism/tourism/tourism-funding/nga-haerenga-the-new-zealand-cycle-trail/ https://nzcycletrail.com/
• Auckland cycleways – more coming all the time https://at.govt.nz/about-us/campaigns/at-cycleways/ cycling https://at.govt.nz/cycling-walking/ https://at.govt.nz/cycling-walking/maps-rides/ - website for cycling and walking around Auckland with maps you can download and print.
• All low emission LED lights throughout the school
• New (2016) state of the art heating and aircon system
• Bike parking outside the school
• Dual flush toilets and low flow water
• Filtered drinking water provided FOC to all - bring your own bottle
• Recycling bins
• Recycled toilet paper
• 30% reduction in paper used since 2017
• All students and 95% of staff (including the 2 owners) use sustainable transport to WWSE (public transport, bicycle, scooter, walk)
• Fly AirNZ and offset your carbon credits https://climatecare.org/carbon-reduction-projects-supported-by-the-air-new-zealand-carbon-offset-programme/
• Use the recycling bins at WWSE
• Use the escooters and the electric trains when you come to Auckland
• Use the many cycling paths
• Join a tree planting day or a beach cleanup
• Sign up for the Tiaki promise https://tiakinewzealand.com/